- The Labour Commissionerate of the State maintains industrial relations.
- It enforces various labour laws.
- It administers social security schemes for the workers.
- The labour laws are for the protection of vulnerable workers.
- Timely payment of wage including payment of minimum wages and social security.
- The social security schemes implemented by the Commissionerate are for both the organized as well as the unorganized workers.
The Labour Commissionerate administers the following Acts
- The Industrial Disputes Act, 1947
- The Industrial Employment (Standing Orders) Act, 1946
- The Minimum Wages Act, 1948
- The Payment of Wages Act, 1936
- The Contract Labour (Regulation and Abolition) Act, 1970
- The Inter State Migrant Workmen (Regulation of Employment & Conditions of Service), 1979
- The Equal remuneration Act, 1976
- The Beedi & Cigar Workers (Conditions of Employment) Act, 1966
- The Motor Transport Workers Act, 1961
- The Plantations Labour Act, 1951
- The Sales Promotion Employees (Conditions of Service) Act, 1976
- The Working Journalists and other Newspaper Employees (Conditions of Service) & M.P. Act, 1955
- The Payment of Gratuity Act, 1972
- The Child Labour (Prohibition & Regulation) Act, 1986
- The Building and Other Construction Workers (Regulation of Employment & Condition of Serrvice) Act,1996
- The Trade Unions Act, 1926
- The Payment of Bonus Act, 1965
The Commissionerate administers the following State Acts
- The West Bengal Payment of Subsistence Allowance Act, 1969
- The West Bengal Workmen’s House Rent Allowance Act, 1974
- The West Bengal Unorganised Sector Workers’ Welfare Act, 2007
- The West Bengal Motor Transport Workers’ Welfare Cess Act, 2010
The Schemes administered by the State are
- The Beedi Workers’ Welfare Scheme 2007
- State Assisted Scheme of Provident Fund for Unorganised Workers (SASPFUW)
- Welfare and social security schemes for construction workers
- Welfare scheme for transport workers